Monday, January 31, 2011

MOUNT UP!

I have written about this matter before, but in the past few weeks it has risen to the surface over and over again...and it is bewildering to me.

Over thousands of years, we have learned mountains of stuff about so many things in the universe...knowledge which enhances, enriches, our lives...but we have learned so very little about a critically important thing in the universe: Ourselves. We know so relatively little about the fundamental nature of our species, why we seem to need certain things (companionship, love, attention, admiration, respect, success) to be happy and to feel fulfilled...and why we react so often with despair, depression and violence when we don't have as much of those things as we would like.

What is love? Is all love the same? Do we need it? How much do we need? Why do I feel lonely? Do I really need someone to be with? What am I really missing when I am by myself? Am I afraid of something? I may feel bad when I don't get that new car I want, but that is nothing to the degree of badness I feel when when I get no loving. Admiration may be nice to receive, but do I need it? And why, why, why?

The answers to these and numerous other related questions are way beyond me...and from what I have seen, way beyond virtually everyone else. Parents, themselves unknowledgeable, are helpless to guide their children. Professionals treat our adverse reactions primarily with mindless drugs. Literally mindless, since they are designed to shut off your mind to what is happening with you. Still feeling the pain? Up the dose, increase the mental masking.

Our educational systems ignore the subject almost completely. Learn calculus and trigonometry in high school...two subjects that less than 1% of us will ever need to know or will ever use...but not what our species is, how it really functions, what it really needs, what makes it feel wonderful to be alive, or so painful. Is it any wonder the world tremors.

Where do we begin our voyage to safety, sanity, serenity, soulful bliss, true success?

I guess at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment