Saturday, October 3, 2009

WHO'S STUPID NOW?

Ever notice that when someone is telling you about a discussion or debate or argument he (or she) had with a third party, or telling you about something that third party did, almost always the third party is presented not just as being wrong, but as being stupid?

I have to think that the popularity of the stupidity attitude suggests that it makes the teller of the story feel good...or, at least, better. The classic explanation is that there is a see-saw effect: by pushing the other guy down, you indirectly push yourself up.

I am not sure, however, why that would work here. First, it entails my thinking that I am a member of a species that is mostly stupid ...which doesn't say much for my human genealogy. And secondly, all it would mean is that I am smarter than some dumb guys... which doesn't give me much of a boost since I already know that.

Without the slightest bit of study or research in the field,
I have a completely different view. A reverse view. I think that the prime reason we categorize others as stupid is because, down deep somewhere in the recesses of our souls, every once in a while, without warning, the thought crosses our mind that maybe we're not as smart as we make ourselves out to be. When we look around, others often seem to be more successful in their careers, presumably make more money than we do, and generally seem happier than we do. They seem more content with life, seem to be having a better time of it.

And those are not good feelings to carry around. So we roll out the stupidity attitude: "Can you believe someone would say that, believe that, feel that way? I thought he was smarter than that. Who's being stupid now?"

And that erases the negative thought I may occasionally have about myself, the one I push under the carpet and don't wish to confront, and levels the playing field. Now, that does make me feel better. Much better. Whew!

Make you feel better, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment