Tuesday, March 8, 2011

NEW HOLIDAY

I think one of man's biggest mistakes, maybe his biggest, was assigning names to the days (Monday, Tuesday, etc.). The values of having named days sequentially repeating themselves ad infinitum...and there are a few, I reckon, though I don't know what they are...were highlighted and promoted. The downsides...and there are many...were ignored.

Including the biggest one: man's supreme attribute is thinking, and naming the days sets uo mindless cyclicalness and squelches spontaneity.

"It's Monday, HAVE TO go to work."
"Would love a burger today, but ALWAYS eat fish on Tuesdays, so I guess it'll be salmon or such"
"Mom EXPECTS me to call every Wednesday, even if I have nothing to say"
"I'm tired, but its Thursday, GOTTA watch The Rutherfords"
"FINALLY, it's Friday"
"Why MUST it forever rain on my day off?"
"Why AREN'T the stores open on Sundays?"

The Earth rotates around the Sun, mindlessly. The groundhog emerges from the ground every February 2nd, choicelessly. The computer responds to your click, automatically.

The nature of man is opposed to mindless order. We are the species of choice, constant, unrelenting, unsurrendered, choice. I am an ardent advocate of nameless days. But since I know that will not likely happen, I propose a new national holiday: SPUR OF THE MOMENT DAY...do whatever you wish, eat what you wish, call whom you wish, regardless of what day it is, or isn't.

Maybe this new holiday will get us refocused on the joy of choice and spontaneity. Did I hear you ask on what day we will celebrate the new holiday?

Tsk, tsk.

ON WHATEVER DAY YOU WISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment