Sunday, July 12, 2009

HOW IS YOU?

Now we all know that when we ask "How are you?" when we are speaking to one person, we are being grammatically incorrect. The word "are" is a plural word...we are, they are. The word "is" is its singular version...he is, she is, it is. The Spanish have it right. They have different words for the word "you" depending on whether you are addressing one person or more than one person. We don't, in English, which may account for the sometimes ungrammatical "How are you?"

So, I am campaigning to change it to "How is you?" when speaking to one person. And the response could be, "I is fine."

Sound funny to you? Is you laughing?

Good, because hopefully then we we will cut way down the number of times we ask this most popular idiotic question, "How is you?"

Think about it. At any one moment in my life, I am likely happy about some things, not so happy about others, and downright miserable about others. And is you asking about my physical health, my mental state, my financial status, my career development, my love life, what? How do I answer your question? And to what detail would you like that answer? I figure on average it would take me about two days to give you even a shortened version of the real answer...which is what I don't think you want to hear, but why then did you ask the question?

So I will give you the extremely emaciated, ridiculous and lying answer "Fine" and both of us can be on our way.

Our
way? We're not sharing a way. I is not going the same way you is. Is I?

No comments:

Post a Comment